Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

- 1 week

This weekend was really great. I had with dinner with some awesome friends Saturday, and Jimmy and I had one of our last date nights before baby on Sunday.

Monday was rough though. I had appointments at 11, 1:30, and 3. My OB appointment went well with Dr. S2 (still love her, she's wonderful at making me feel at ease about the decisions and does a great job answering my questions) and we finalized our plans for next week. I had a CBC done and they were so concerned about me getting there early so it could be sent out on the first run to the lab, so if I needed to be kept (if my count was lower than 50), I wouldn't be driving all that way home and then back for nothing. Remember this, because I DID MY PART. I went to the Hematology clinic at 1:30, but Dr. M was running a little late. My phone was dying at this point, and I still had to see the anesthesiologists for a consult. But! I needed my phone in case they call with my counts, because if they are low, they may need to keep me. So I went back to the parking deck, got my charger, and then used the fancy new corridor that connects Duke clinics to Duke hospital. This is a great addition and saves me a lot of time, but was not easy for the pregnant lady. I went up to L&D, to meet with the anesthesiologists. That takes about 20-30 minutes. I still hadn't heard anything about my counts. I'm thinking, "It's only 3:15, maybe they need more time, so I should stay just in case." I went to Starbucks, got a snack, and enjoyed it while charging my phone a bit. No phone call. At that point it's close to 4, and I just thought, "Forget it. They're not going to call at this point." So I left. And guess what! I never heard from anyone Monday night! When I got home, I was exhausted and the rest I got was honestly the best I'd had in 2 weeks. I think it was the relief of not having to stay, because I really was dreading a low count and having to be put in the hospital. 34 weeks is my goal, not 32+4.

Despite the rest, yesterday was a difficult day. I felt it coming on Monday, because I began being really irritable, but yesterday I was in a totally awful mood. I know the dex does this. I know pregnancy does this. The two together, well, ugh. Poor Jimmy was probably ready to smack me. Not only was I irritable and grumpy, but I just felt down and didn't really want to talk to anyone. I'm not looking for sympathy, just telling my story. It happens under these circumstances. But Dr. M did call me with my counts! They were 42. He was good with that, because the Nplate often takes 5-7 days to kick in, and he talked with OB, who was also good with the number. So we'll see where we are on Friday, and probably get an Nplate shot then. My second goal is to walk in to the hospital on Wednesday with triple digits.

Today, Jimmy told me to wake him up early so we could redo the bedroom. We're keeping Baby J in the pack and play in our room for the first few weeks, whenever we are able to come home, to make access easier. We cleaned and rearranged furniture. The room feels ready. The nursery still needs some final touches, but it's more organization and decoration. I didn't get all the things done I wanted, as far as the closets and moving things around, but it'll be dealt with. I'm not stressing over it. It'll happen.


This time next week, we will be sitting in L&D, getting ready to have our baby.

Despite having a blog, I am a pretty private person, at least until I'm ready to share things. Thankfully, we will not have many people at the hospital. I'm really excited that Mom, Dad, and Jackie will be there, as well as our siblings if they are able, and Baby J's godparents, if they are able. But this could take a long time and I don't want to feel like people are sitting there waiting on me. Things like that can totally stall labor as well. Dr. S2 said there is no real difference in labor time between now and an induction at term, but me being a first time mom it could take a few days. I'm also going to be able to have the birth experience I wanted, at least as far as induction methods go. Dr. S2 also said there wasn't a more significant chance of me having a c/s this early unless Baby J or I go into distress. Maybe genetics will play a part and they'll break my water, and I'll pop that sucker out in 4 hours. Who knows?!

We also will let people know when we're ready for other visitors. We just don't know how the baby's health will play out and honestly, will not be up to visiting with people until we are ready. Our focus is going to be on getting that sweet baby home! My goal for bringing Baby J home is Christmas. Dr. S2 estimated a NICU stay of 2 weeks, but reminded me every baby is different.

I have 3 goals:
  • To deliver at 34 weeks and not before
  • To go to the hospital with a count in 3 digits
  • To bring Baby J home by Christmas
I guess writing all those goals for IEPs never really leaves your system. With the medical support Jimmy and I have, the best in the country as far as we're concerned, as well as all the prayers and thoughts of our families, friends, and even those we haven't met, I know that these things are achievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment