Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

-2 Weeks

At least, that's what they tell me. When I called Monday to go over my glucose numbers, the nurse said, "Oh! And I have your induction date ready for you!" It took my breath away for a minute. We will go in on December 14th for them to check my counts and then they will begin the process if I don't need any kind of treatments.

Like I've been telling people, with me, it's always "plan" in quotation marks. I don't know where my counts will be on the 14th. And if my counts drop again, they may just want me to come in. The longer my counts can stay up, the longer my baby can cook. And I'm really, really shooting for the 34 week goal. I told Mom that if we ever thought we lived by numbers before (early on in my diagnosis), it was at a completely different level now. My counts on Monday were 101. Then it was like, "Okay, we're good until Thursday. What are they going to be on Thursday?" Thursday they were 56. 56 is okay. I called OB and they said they were good with that, but wanted me to come in a little early for counts on Monday at my appointment, in case they were low and I needed to be admitted. I can do that. Dr. M said he wanted me to try to get a shot of Nplate today. IVIG, despite the high price tag, only lasted for about a week and my counts weren't as high as they had been when we'd done dex and Nplate in the past. That's simply not cost effective in terms of time put in or insurance money. Luckily, the clinic had Nplate and I was able to get a shot today! I'm hoping it'll work really hard over the weekend and I'll have a decent count on Monday. I'll also use my nerdy data tracking chart to see if I can form a more concrete hypothesis.

As far as the gestational diabetes goes, I've been managing pretty well. I monitored for a week and after 3 days realized I did need to make some changes. However, my after dinner numbers continue to be high, but I take that reading about 8 hours after I take my dex. Dex takes a few hours to kick in. Obviously it's causing these higher numbers. Also, we eat leftovers, so when I eat for lunch the same thing I had for dinner the night before and have a discrepancy in the two after meal numbers, and the only difference is that I took medication, I think the correlation is obvious.

I've finally found the peace I needed for the decision to take the baby at 34 weeks. I was in major panic mode and very scared for about a week. On Sunday, I finally received the peace that I have needed so badly. Now I am able to be excited about our child joining us instead of completely freaked out. I know there may be challenges, but I am looking for the good things. Due to the steroids, hopefully breathing will not be an issue for the baby. Also, even though I have had complications due to ITP, I have not had any pregnancy scares--no bleeding, cramping, trips to L&D in the middle of the night (only when they want to observe me), strong and early movement...these things encourage me. I know that our child is a fighter. My prayer and the ONLY thing I really want for Christmas is to be able to bring the baby home. Snuggling on the couch with my husband and child would be the best holiday I could imagine. We may not have a tree, decorations, or gifts, but it really doesn't matter. We will have our family and our faith.

Nesting is not just called that because women are trying to get a "nest" ready. To include more bird metaphors, I feel like I'm taking a birdwalk every time I start nesting. I start doing one thing, then I see something else that can be done, and "Oh! I need to do that!" and it goes on for a couple of hours. It's kind of crazy. I have gotten some incredible deals in finishing up the last minute shopping. I found organic cotton changing pad covers at Marshall's for $6 apiece, half off retail. I bought several newborn sleepers, because the vast majority of the clothes we have were 0-3 months, and those will just be too big at first. I got in on a Babies R Us sale and got my diaper bag, flannel lap pads, and an extra mattress cover at great prices. I found the canvas covered baskets for $2 apiece at a local secondhand store, and they had enough for my changing table. I haven't gone too crazy looking for preemie stuff, because a)I'm trying to fatten this baby up and b)when I start to feel the urge, something inside of me says, "Wait," and that's good enough for me.

I'm going to miss being pregnant. Things are starting to get uncomfortable, but there really is nothing like feeling the baby move around inside of me. Jimmy hasn't been able to feel baby move a lot, due to the placenta position, but it's been amazing the times he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment